NHS treatment

Limited availability

The NHS provides all the treatment necessary to secure and maintain your oral health. There are some treatments (mainly cosmetic) which are not available on the NHS, and you may opt to have these done privately.

It is required that patients visit the dentist regularly to remain registered for routine NHS treatment and emergency care. Non-regular attenders may be refused emergency treatment if our appointment diary is fully booked. Two missed dental appointments within a 12-month period may result in a patient being classed as a non-regular attender. Patients aged 18 and over normally pay charges for NHS treatment.

NHS treatment bands 1, 2 and 3

NHS Band 1 Treatment

This includes one or more of the following: Examination, Any necessary dental x-rays, Routine scaling & polish, Oral Health advice.

NHS Band 2 Treatment

Band 1 treatment plus one or more of the following: filling, root canal treatment, tooth extraction, periodontal treatment.

NHS Band 3 Treatment

This includes Band 1 and Band 2 treatments required and a Crown, Bridge, or Denture.

Urgent Treatment

This covers any urgent care required to relieve you from pain or discomfort.

  • You will be asked to pay one charge for each course of treatment. If you miss treatment appointments, any outstanding treatment may be charged at the full band price once you return for its completion. This is because your NHS form needs to be processed within a set period which is usually 2 months from commencing treatment.
  • If you pay for your treatment but later find out that you were exempt from paying, you can claim a refund. You need to do this within 3 months of the payment date, by filling in form HC5, which is available from post offices, job centres, and dental surgeries.
  • If you need new treatment within the same or lower charge band within two months of completing a course of treatment, you do not have to pay anything extra.
  • You do not have to pay for denture repairs, stitch removal, stopping a secondary bleed following extraction or the writing of a prescription.
    If you are referred to another dentist as part of an existing course of treatment, you will still only pay one charge (to the dentist who refers you). However, if you are referred to another dentist for a new course of treatment, you will need to pay two sets of charges.
  • If you are 18 or over and a filling, root filling, veneer, inlay or crown provided by us under the NHS within the last 12 months has to be replaced, you will not be charged if you return to us for treatment, unless the treatment was temporary, it was provided against our advice, the replacement is necessary because of accident or a different treatment is necessary because a satisfactory replacement is not possible.

Call us on 0191 252 1155 or click to send us an email to find out more about our NHS options

You will receive free treatment from your NHS dentist if, when the treatment starts, you are:

  • Under 18 years

  • Under 19 years and in full time education

  • Pregnant or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts

  • You’re included in an award of Income Support, income-based Jobseekers Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit

  • You’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate

  • You’re named on a valid HC2 certificate

  • If you’re named on a valid HC3 certificate then you may not have to pay for all of your NHS dental treatment

Your Jobcentre Plus, or Pension centre, will be able to provide you with a letter of entitlement.

Your dentist will ask for evidence that you are entitled to free NHS dental treatment.

If you are under 18 years of age, you can use any official document showing your name and date of birth, such as a passport, or birth certificate.

If you are 18 years of age, and in full-time education, your school, college, or Local Education Authority (LEA) can provide proof that you are in full-time education. You will also need an official document showing your name and age.

If you are on a low income, and you have savings of less than £16,000 (or £21,500 if you are permanently in a care home), you may be entitled to help with your health costs.

You will need to fill in form HC1 to claim HC2 or HC3 help with NHS dental costs. Your income and circumstances will be assessed and, depending on your situation, you could be given either an HC2 or an HC3 certificate. The HC1 form is available from the Jobcentre Plus offices or by calling 0845 850 1166 or 08701 555 455. An HC2 certificate will mean that you are exempt from all NHS charges, including prescription charges. An HC3 certificate will mean that you are entitled to some limited help with certain NHS charges. The exact amount will depend on your individual circumstance.

The Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS) is for people who are on a low income and are referred to a hospital for specialist dental treatment. You may be able to get help with the cost of travelling to and from your appointments.

Please note, the following benefits, on their own, do not entitle you to help with health costs:

  • Incapacity benefit.
  • Disability living allowance.
  • Pension credit savings credit.
  • Contribution-based Jobseeker’s allowance.
Contact Us
18 Ilfracombe Gardens,
Whitley Bay,
NE26 3SL
0191 252 1155
Opening Hours
Monday 8.30am – 5.30pm
Tuesday 8.30am – 5.30pm
Wednesday 8.30am – 5.30pm
Thursday 8.30am – 5.30pm
Friday 8.30am – 4.00pm
We are closed daily for lunch between 12.30 – 1.30pm
Quick and easy online booking form